Filing A Lawsuit For Your Mesothelioma Case
Receiving Compensation from Asbestos Companies is Your Right
Mesothelioma and asbestosis are diseases caused by exposure to asbestos fibers. Those at risk for developing these diseases include workers handling or installing insulation, shipyard workers, factory workers, mechanics, plumbers, and electricians, among many others.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or asbestosis, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against the manufacturers, sellers and installers of asbestos products. Filing a claim can help you address the medical and financial problems that asbestos-related diseases can cause victims and their families.
You and your family should carefully select attorneys who are experienced in asbestos litigation. The legal team you hire should fully understand asbestos as well as all requirements of prosecuting an asbestos-related lawsuit.
Steps for Filing a Lawsuit
- Once it has been determined that you have a case, you and your attorney will create an agreement explaining the legal fees and terms of the relationship and legal representation.
- Your attorney and the law firm will conduct research and investigate your work history related to asbestos exposure to determine the responsible companies. The companies can include manufacturers, distributors, suppliers and installers of asbestos materials. Your attorney will then file a legal claim on your behalf.
- The defendants, or the companies identified in the lawsuit, have approximately one month to answer the allegations in your complaint.
- The court will issue a schedule for your case once the defendants respond, and the discovery phase of your case begins. During discovery your lawyer will gather all of the evidence necessary to demonstrate that the corporations named in the suit are responsible for your injuries. Previous co-workers, your medical team, and medical experts may be questioned.
- As part of this pre-trial or pre-settlement process, you may be asked to testify at a deposition and respond to questions about your background. Your lawyer should arrange for your deposition to be conducted at a convenient location.
- The defendants may seek to resolve your case through settlement before any trial. Your lawyer will review any offers of settlement with you so you can determine if you want to settle or move forward with a trial.
- If you do not receive a full and fair settlement for your claims, your lawyer will advise you of your options for a trial. During the trial, testimony and evidence will be presented in support of your claim. Medical and other experts may also testify on your behalf.
Belluck & Fox Will Work Tirelessly to Get You the Compensation You Deserve
The attorneys of Belluck & Fox use our extensive knowledge of work sites and asbestos products to investigate and prosecute your claim. Belluck & Fox has recovered more than $200 million on behalf of clients with mesothelioma and asbestos-related lung cancer. We will provide individualized and professional representation from the first meeting with you to the resolution of your case.
Learn more about your legal options and contact us for any information you may need.