1. Skip to content
Posted on

Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma Oncologists Asked to Participate in ESMO Survey

The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) is making one last push to get survey responses from medical or radiation oncologists that treat lung cancer patients.   The survey responses will be compiled by the Young Oncologists Committee (YOC) of ESMO for a study that “aims to understand the use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy in incompletely resected (R1) early stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).”  ESMO conducts and funds research for treatments of lung cancer and mesothelioma.

Lung cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States and afflicted 157,300 Americans in 2010, according to federal statistics.  According to the Van Andel Research Institute, smoking accounts for nearly 85% of the cases of lung cancer, while environmental hazards, such as asbestos and radon, and genetic factors account for the remaining 15%.

Mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer caused by breathing in the asbestos fibers that then become lodged in the thin membrane that lines and encases the lungs.  Currently, mesothelioma is considered incurable and the prognosis is often less than one year.  Close to 3,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with mesothelioma each year.

Through ongoing research, physicians and scientists hope to uncover new approaches to treat and diagnose lung cancer and mesothelioma.  Surveys, such as this one, provide valuable information to researchers directly from the medical professionals that deal with the deadly cancers on a daily basis.

Questions on the survey include inquiries about the percentage of patients with lung cancer managed by the survey respondent; chemotherapy agents prescribed, such as the combination of cisplatin/pemetrexed or carboplatin/pemetrexed; whether cases are discussed in multi-disciplinary meetings and if the respondent follows ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines.

The electronic survey, which will be open until the end of February, takes about five minutes to complete.  The project is being led by Dr. Raffaele Califano from The Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester.  The YOC hopes to present its findings at the ESMO congress in 2012.

ESMO is the leading European professional organization committed to advancing the specialty of medical oncology and promoting a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment and care.  Through their extensive fellowship program young oncologists get the opportunity to “gain valuable research experience and skills and also have the opportunity to disseminate information in their home countries.”

More articles by

Nancy Meredith is a blog and web content writer with more than 20 years of professional experience in the Information Technology industry. She has been writing about Mesothelioma for 4 years. Follow Nancy on Google+

Comments are closed.